Category Archives: extension
We have plastered about 75% of the older part of the property and have started plastering the new extension. This week we have plastered the two ensuites, the dressing room and the master bedroom. With this much plastering, the building can get damp very quickly – plastering the walls in wet plaster introduces a lot of water in the building. Although the ground source heat pump is up and running, we have also left a dehumidifer running to accelerate the drying process.
Next week we will make a start on plastering the kitchen. My guess is that it will take most of the week to get the ktichen plastered.
We have started constructing the canopy on the front elevation of the extension. This runs from the master bedroom and across the top of the large square oak window. It is made of marine ply with a section of wooden gutter inserted towards the front edge. This will then be covered in Sarnafil (an alternative to lead) to make it waterproof. Originally, there wasn’t going to be a gutter in this canopy, howcver, since it is outside the master bedroom, we decided that one was needed to stop water dripping off it during the night. The drain pipe will run down the centre of the pillar and then into a land drain.
We have 14 workmen onsite today – 2 plumbers, 3 builders, 2 heating engineers, 2 plasterers, 3 electricians, 1 joiner and 1 roofer. And me.
Trying to make sure that everyone has enough space to work is the main problem, but everyone seems to be getting along (just). The car (or van) parking situation is causing a little bit of a problem, but with the wet weather recently, it is jsut to muddy to get vehicles into the back field.
However, it does mean that we are making a lot of progress.
We have made quite a bit of progress this week:
- The ground source heat pump arrived on Monday and, fingers crossed, we hope to have it up and running by the end of the week. It will be good to get some heat in the house to start drying out the walls and floors;
- The plasterers are back. We need to get the old part of the building finished off so that the decorators can start after Christmas;
- We have started pointing the stonework. We are going to have to pick the days carefully as this can only be done in dry weather (otherwise, the rain will wash the pointing out);
- We have almost finished the upstairs bathroom. It will be good to get this one put to bed before Christmas. If the ground source heat pump is turned on at the end of the week, we may have some hot and cold water in the old house.
Now the scaffolding has been removed, we can sandblast the stonework on the new extension. We tend to do the sandblasting at the weekend because it is so noisy and messy. It just makes it to difficult to work on the site while the sandblasting is going on.
The next stage will be to point the stonework. We will be using the same lime and Nosterfield River sand mortar that we used on the original part of the property.
All of this stone has been brought in from offsite and is the closest match the we could find. The one exception are the quoins (the large corner stones) on the porch. These originally form part of the barn that was where the kitchen is now.
We have started to remove the scaffolding from the extension. There is still some work to be completed on the porch, but most of the external building work is drawing to a close.
Taking the scaffolding down has made a tremendous difference to the overall appearance of the property – it is starting to feel like a real house now!
We have had another fine day here in West Yorkshire. This has allowed the roofers to get on with their job. We have definitely passed the half way mark on the extension roof.
We are making some good progress on the extension roof. All of the Velux lights in the rear elevation have now been installed. This includes an additional pair that we put into the master bedroom. The master bedroom has bi-folding doors, but no other windows. If you want to sleep with the window open at night, the only option would have been to leave the bi-folding doors open. Probably not a good option on the ground floor.
So we decided to add a pair of Velux lights. We have put them on the rear elevation since most of the bad weather hits the property from the front. We were concerned about the amount of noise that rain would make on these windows in bad weather (not that we get bad weather in Yorkshire!). We will have to get some electric blinds fitted to these as there are about 4m above the bed!
We are using reclaimed stone slates on the new extension roof. These are fairly common in this area on properties on this age. By using reclaimed slates, this roof should match the roof on the existing property. Just because these slates are reclaimed, don’t think that they are cheap. They aren’t! They can also be quite difficult to get hold of, particularly if you are after a reasonable quantity. We were lucky and came across some a couple of months ago. We bought them and stored them offsite on pallets until we needed them.
We have taken down the scaffolding at the front of the extension. This will allow the bi-folding doors to be fitted. This is planned for first thing tomorrow morning.
The sunken garden could also do with a bit of a tidy-up!
The weather yesterday was appalling, but unbelievably the roofers continued to work throughout the day. At one point, we thought we might lose all of the felt off the roof however the roofers managed to batten in all down. Later in the afternoon, the wind subsided. By the end of the day, they had installed all of the Veluxes in the back of the property. But they even managed to put a couple of courses of stone slates on the roof. Amazing.