We have plastered about 75% of the older part of the property and have started plastering the new extension. This week we have plastered the two ensuites, the dressing room and the master bedroom. With this much plastering, the building can get damp very quickly – plastering the walls in wet plaster introduces a lot of water in the building. Although the ground source heat pump is up and running, we have also left a dehumidifer running to accelerate the drying process.
Next week we will make a start on plastering the kitchen. My guess is that it will take most of the week to get the ktichen plastered.
The plasterers have made good progress this week. The two ensuites, dressing room and the master bedroom have been completely plastered. With the ground source heat pump running, the plaster is drying out fairly quickly. To accelerate the drying process we are using a dehumidifer.
We have started constructing the canopy on the front elevation of the extension. This runs from the master bedroom and across the top of the large square oak window. It is made of marine ply with a section of wooden gutter inserted towards the front edge. This will then be covered in Sarnafil (an alternative to lead) to make it waterproof. Originally, there wasn’t going to be a gutter in this canopy, howcver, since it is outside the master bedroom, we decided that one was needed to stop water dripping off it during the night. The drain pipe will run down the centre of the pillar and then into a land drain.
Up close, you can see that the pillar that is carrying the end of the oak beam has been pointed (only yesterday). The canopy will continue across and cover the large square oak window.
There is a canopy over the bi-folding doors in the master bedroom. The canopy will be made from plywood with a section of wooden gutter towards the front (the spars have been notched to accomodate the wooden gutter). The canopy will be covered in Sarnafil (a lead alternative).