Category Archives: drawings
The existing cottages have three original king post roof trusses that date back to the 1700’s. We have replaced the tie beam on the middle cottage and then replaced 6 purlins through the 3 cottages (2 were later replacements and 4 were cracked). We have used reclaimed oak with all the replacements to ensure that it matches the existing timbers.
In addition, we replaced around 50m of wall plate (this is timber that runs along the top of the wall and carries the ends of the rafters).
Other than that the existing oaks timbers were simply sandblasted to clean off the years of muck. They will be treated with a wood preserver later.
|Day 7 – Foundations dug|
|Another metre of wall|
|Day 7 – today’s efforts|
|3D artist’s impression of the renovations|
The plans have now been submitted to the local planning department and although the 3D drawings are not part of the planning process, they do provide a clue to what the building will look like when finished. You can see the main building is left pretty much as it is today (although minus the conservatory). The barn on the end has become the corner of the L shape which is then extended out for the lounge and the master bedroom.
The roof line on the extension stays constant even though the ground rises upward. The rooms inside flow when the natural rise in the land. The garden area is split into two distinct spaces – a lower garden accessible from the lounge and a higher garden accessible from the master bedroom. The roofline in the extension is at a lower level than the main house (pretty much as it is today) to give a clear separation between old and new.
I have spent the past couple of weekends clearing out much of the undergrowth and old trees from the orchard. I haven’t cut down any of the fruit trees, but I have taken out the other trees that had grown in between. It must have been years since any of this land was cared for. I can’t believe how much I have taken out of such a small piece of land. This space looks so mucher bigger now. I have left all of the sheds in place (for now) – there are two fairly large sheds here.
|Stihl 017 Chainsaw – Newly Serviced!|
I did get my chainsaw serviced during the week and this has made a tremendous difference. Rapid Hire Centre in Honley (my local Stihl dealer) serviced it same day as well as fitting a new chain. I notice that they have also turned the guide bar over so it wears equally on each side (hence the Stihl logo on the guide bar is now upside down). They have done a great job and are local – very local. Shame their website doesn’t mention that they are a Stihl dealer plus their latest catalogue is 2010.
I am not a great fan of chainsaws. Pretty dangerous and things can go spectacularly (and disastrously) wrong if you aren’t careful. They need to be treated with care and respect. I tend to plan the cuts, clear the area, make the cut and then turn the chainsaw off before clearing the area and starting the process all over again. This means that the work is slow and methodical, but it also means that there is no debris in the area to trip over (I don’t even want to think about falling over carrying a running chainsaw!).
There’s probably another day or so’s work here to tidy things up. As well as the over grown trees in the orchard, there is a large tree in the one corner with what appears to be storm damage. This needs tidying up. I made a start, but the light was fading fast.
The smaller upper branches are now on a rather large bonfire. The more substantial pieces have been cut up into logs. It will be a year or so before they are ready to burn, but I am sure that I can find a good home for them!
Well after the progress made yesterday – wall dismantled, foundations dug and first course laid – today was somewhat disappointing. Disheartening even. In 4 hours, I managed 6 or so courses and the 2m section of wall I was working on reached about 0.5m, maybe less. The main problem (besides my lack of skill) is that most of the stones that make up the wall are pretty much rounded boulders. The rock is made up of very coarse gritstone which is very soft and crumbly – you could try and shape it with a hammer, but that is going to be real hard work.
|Not much for two days work – a (very small) wall and a lot of left over boulders|
As far as I can see, Option 2 is the only real practical solution. I could do with getting some advice from someone with a lot more experience than me. Just in case I am missing something obvious – it is a lot of work for some to then point out that there was an easier solution!
The next step has to be looking at the other field walls and finding a section that is relatively intact. This will give an idea of the size and proportion of the walls. I can then see if we can build something that is similar. Ho hum.
Here’s a couple of drawings of the farmhouse as it is today. The second drawing shows the property in less detail, but labels up the different parts that go to make up the building. You will find photos of the property here.
The cottages were originally three cottages (8, 9 and 10 Hagg Leys). It was only in the 1990s that numbers 9 and 10 were converted into one property – known as 10 Hagg Leys today. We plan to join all three cottages together and connect it to the barn.
|Drawing of the property today|
|The different parts that make up the property|