Monthly Archives: August 2013
When we lifted up the old stone sink, we found these keys underneath. They need a bit of cleaning up.
We have the first 800m installed and have a further 1000m to go. We have now back filled the area over the initial 800m and are now excavating the 2nd part of the field. However, we had to move all of the top soil first that we had piled up on the other half of the field.
This is turning into a lot more work than we first imagined, however, there is no turning back now.
We have installed two gate posts in the orchard. These have been installed so that they fit two gates – a 10ft gate and a 3ft gate personnel gate.
Longer term, these will be used as as the main entrance to the property. Once the gates are installed, we will repair the dry stone wall along the roadside to fit with the new gate post.
There was a large stone slab outside the old chicken shed that was used as a step. The stone slab was so heavy that I couldn’t move it, so when I erected the polytunnel, I only managed to move it a few inches.
We suspected that it was an old sink as it had a hole in it that was lined with lead. But again, it was so heavy that I couldn’t flip it over.
Today with the help of Richard Morson (Mr Messy), we managed to flip it over. And yes, it is an old stone kitchen sink. We aren’t quite sure what we are going to do with it, so we straightened it up and left it where it was – as a step just outside the polytunnel.
We have just started digging to install the second half of the ground loops and the spoil heap is pretty impressive. The top of the spoil heap is a great place to get a view of the overall state of the building work. The 3D image below, although taken from a slight different perspective, shows what the building will look like when finished.
The concrete slab is due to be poured on Tuesday – the concrete pump required to pour the concrete has broken down, but has now been booked for Tuesday.
In the meantime, working is progressing on installing the second half (the last 1000m of pipe) of the ground loops.
It has been a busy couple of days and we have started to reinstate the field over the 800m of ground loops that we have installed. We have pressure tested these pipes and they still seem to be holding 1 bar of pressure. The good news is that we will know straight away if any of the pipes get damaged. I suspect that they are more sturdy than we give them credit for, but we don’t want to take any chances. No one wants to have to dig them up later.
The drains are now all installed ready for us to pour the concrete slab in the new extension. We have also connected up the drains to the septic tank. We have put a rubber bung into the drain and then filled all of the drains with water. If there are any leaks, they will show up straight away. The building inspector turned up towards the end of the day and signed off the drains. Tomorrow we will remove the rubber bung and let all of the water drain into the septic tank and then cover over the drains. There are just too many holes now on this site and it will good to get some of them filled in.
We have installed the first 800m of ground loops and have decided to pressure test them. This means filling the pipework with water and increasing the pressure.
We have put 1 bar of pressure into the installed loops and will see what happens overnight.
Of course, we had to repair the water supply to start with!
It seems strange to get excited about a flushing toilet, but when you have had to put up with a plastic toilet for the last three months, it makes all the difference.
We have connected up an inexpensive toilet pan and cistern to the newly installed drains. This means we now have a flushing toilet on site and we are starting to re-use the septic tank.
There is going to be a parapet wall between Jo’s study and the stairwell. This will be stud work that is plastered with an oak handrail. There will be an oak upright post in the middle connected to the king post truss above. The stud work was installed this weekend.
While looking for the main drain to the septic tank, we seem to have found the water supply for the property. Unfortunately, it was all a bit late.
The good news is that it is easily fixed and we know how and where to turn it off.