Monthly Archives: March 2014
At the weekend, we converted a bit of the bottom field nearest to the house into a vegetable patch. It is only 6ft x 6ft, but more than big enough to grow some spuds – the first lot are already in. However, it did take some time to tidy up this piece of land and move a couple of tons of top soil into place.
Since we had an 8 ton excavator on site to relay the top soil in the top field, it seemed like a great opportunity to increase the size of the vegetable plot. Well, it is now 6ft x 40ft!
Now all the building work is complete, it is time to replace the top soil on the top field. This was removed when we put the pipework in for the ground loops. While we replace the subsoil, we left the top soil in a pile. Otherwise, it would have got everywhere.
We are going to have the local farmer re-seed this field for us, but first we need to get the soil back down.
While it is not entirely finished, we have moved in. We are keen to start living in the property so that we get a sense of what might need to be changed (while we still have some opportunity to change it!).
In July 2012, we thought the end date might be around March 2014. At the time, I remember adding an exclamation mark as I thought it was such a long way away (see here on the About page). Well, I guess it was at the time.
We still have the master bedroom to finished as well as the two attached ensuites, but the other bedrooms are finished and there are working bathrooms too! The ground source heat pump seems to be settling down and we have heat and hot water (most of the time). We have lights despite having a shortage of light switches. However, you can always revert to an iPhone or an iPad if you can’t find the switch (but this does get annoying rather quickly!).
The kitchen is still a bit of a challenge. The granite sinks haven’t shown up yet, so we have no worksurfaces. And this means no water (hot or cold) or hob. However, we seem to be managing for the time being although I am guessing that this will soon becoming frustrating.
Of course the outside is still to do, but there again it isn’t the summer yet!
All the timber flooring was finished yesterday and today it was the job of sanding the floors and applying the final coat of varnish. The timber boards had already had a couple of coats of varnish before being laid, but the final coat seals the floor and all the joints between the boards. It takes around four hours to go off, but it is best left overnight.
Once the varnish has set, we will fit the skirting boards. These have already had one coat of paint. They will need a second, but at least one coat speeds up the process. The varnish is a satin matt. It only looks glossy in the photo below as the varnish is still wet!
We re-built the old coalhole that was on the end of the building. It had to be re-built as it was damp and very dark. We finished the flooring in here yesterday and once the varnish has gone off, it will be time to install the skirting boards.
It is a great space – a little quirky – but it just adds character to the room.
Adding skylights and increasing the size of the window has increased the light here as well as increasing the sense of space.
We finished the timber flooring in the hall yesterday including the flooring that covers the step for the stairs to sit on. The staircase that we are currently using is temporary while the finished staircase is being built.
We weren’t sure about the step when it was first built. It seemed a bit out of place, but now it is clad in timber, it looks better. We are still not totally convinced, but we are going with it for the time being. The addition of the LED lights (front and back) make it look like it is there on purpose (and not just covering up some pipework!).
With the tiles in the kitchen laid and grouted, it is now time to turn our attention to the boot room and utility room. We are using the same tiles as in the kitchen and the tiles will be laid as a continous run. John made a headstart on tiling the utility room last week and today the boot room has been tiled. We are still waiting for the shower tray for the boot room – this will be used to wash the dog and wellies – but hopefully it should be ready to be picked up today.
The timber flooring is all done now in the lounge. There are three rooms with timber flooring and we managed to get 1.5 done today. The rest will have to wait until next week. We are now in a position for the skirtings to be put on now that the floor is down. There a few cables left over here and there, but we are almost there.
Now the carpets are down, it is time to start on the timber flooring. There will be timber flooring in the lounge, hall and study. Since the lounge is on the same heating zone as the kitchen, the underfloor heating has been turned off for the last week or so.
We are using engineered Oak boards. Solid oak boards were shrink and twist with the heat from the underfloor heating. The oak flooring should match the oak in the exposed oak trusses. Once the floor is down, it is sealed using a
The flooring is being installed by CJ Flooring in Huddersfield.