There was telephone pole in one of the fields. It didn’t seem to be connected to anything and had a coil of black cable hanging from it. A nail on label (see below) seemed to suggest that it was surplus to requirements.
I sent the folks at BT Openreach an email via the BT website on the 10th December and I got a pretty quick response. They pointed me at the External Network Relocation team (0800 917 7381 option 6) and they said that they would send out a survey team to have a look at the site. All seemed pretty easy.
Well, at the weekend, I noticed the pole had been removed. Not sure when it was removed, but either way, I am impressed with the quick response. Thank you BT.