Progress on the rear of the property

Written by stephen gale

With the windows all installed, our attentions have moved to getting the openings sorted out for two pairs of large doors at the rear of the house.  I always knew that there were big (particularly after having seen the quote for supplying them!), but I hadn’t realised quite how big until I saw the openings – each door is over a metre wide.

The ashlar surrounds for the window at the rear and the two openings for the doors was around £3,000 (just for the materials).

Where openings have been walled up, there are now some stones that need to be sandblasted.  It just mean getting the sandblaster out again, but he is relatively local and doesn’t seem to mind.  It shouldn’t take long to sort out these odd patches.

The gas board have also disconnected the gas supply so that we can move the pipework at the front of the house.  This leaves black marks on the stonework where the sandblaster could get to the stonework as the pipes were in the way.  This can all get picked up when he comes back.

The windows are all in and they are covered on the inside with some lightweight plastic to protect them while the inside of the property is being plastered.

The last of the wagons collected the waste spoil in Friday and the site is starting to look altogether more tidy.

The last of the wagons collected the waste spoil in Friday and the site is starting to look altogether more tidy.

We have now replaced the ashlar above the window to the left.  The window head is now the same thickness as the other windows, but the stones that have been used to wall it up need to be sandblasted.  There are two pairs of doors at the rear and the stone surround for the first of them has gone in.

We have now replaced the ashlar above the window to the left. The window head is now the same thickness as the other windows, but the stones that have been used to wall it up need to be sandblasted. There are two pairs of doors at the rear and the stone surround for the first of them has gone in.

The newly rebuilt extension is looking really great.  Still a bit of tidying up to do and some pointing, but we are definitely getting there.

The newly rebuilt extension is looking really great. Still a bit of tidying up to do and some pointing, but we are definitely getting there.

Now all of the windows are in, we have covered the insides with a lightweight plastic to protect them while the inside is being plastered.  The windows were installed with the final coat of paint already on.

Now all of the windows are in, we have covered the insides with a lightweight plastic to protect them while the inside is being plastered. The windows were installed with the final coat of paint already on.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *