Today, one of the panes in the lounge rooflights shattered. I only noticed it when I returned home. It can’t have happened long before I got it as it was still making a “tinkling” noise. It was the outer pane of a double glazed unit, so there was no mess inside the house.
We have had some really hot weather for the past couple of days, so I think it must have expanded it the heat.
We’ll have to work out how to get it replaced. But at least it isn’t about to fall inside the house as it is the outer pane that has gone.
These rooflights were supplied by Standard Patent Glazing over in Dewsbury. Someone came out within a couple of days and assessed the damage. It looks like something has hit the glass from the outside, but it is difficult to tell. Unfortunately, it was out of it’s warranty period and it cost us £400 to get it replaced. However, it was done within a couple of weeks and the whole process was pretty painless.
The rooflights were installed today. There are three sets. Two in the lounge and one in the kitchen. Each set is identical. 5 panes 600mm wide. Originally, we were going to install 6 panes 500mm, but this increase the amount of frame in the unit and reduced the amount of glass. 5 panes 600mm wide was about the same price as 6 panes 500mm wide.
Each set has two openers. These are electrically operated. The electrical unit has to be the ugliest thing ever. And the rocker switches that came with it are even worse! I am less worried by the switches as we will use the Loxone system to control the opening and closing of these windows. This means that when we set the alarm, the windows can be closed automatically. The motor units are more of a problem. I thought there were covers to go on them, but alas no – they are meant to look like this!
The installation was very quick – around 2 hours to get all three banks of rooflights installed. The frames and the glass are shipped separately and the team from Standard Patent Glazing assemble them on site. Unfortunately, one of the panes bumped into the scaffold when being brought into the extension. When it comes to glass versus scaffold, the scaffold is always going to win. The broken unit has been fitted temporarily, but a new unit has been ordered and should be installed next week.
There are three sets of rooflights in the extension. Two in the lounge and one set in the kitchen. All have electrically operated opening panes – 2 in each set.
This is the rooflight in the rear of the lounge. You can see the lead underneath the window. More lead will be fitted when the roof is slated – this is due to happen next week.
These are the rooflights in the rear of the lounge. Nick and Dan are working on the stonework in the small gable in the end of the kitchen.
This happened when the panes of glass were being carried in. One of them just caught the edge of a scaffolding pole. A replacement was already on order by the time the installers had left. It will be replaced next week (at their cost).