There is a wall (sort of) and a gate in the bottom field. I suspect that this was the main route into the property before Upper Hagg Road existed. You can see a “running joint” down the outside of the wall where the wall with the gate joins the wall along the road. I think this is because the gate wall pre-dates the wall along the road.
The wall to the left of the gate was in decent shape and we did repair it earlier in the year. The wall on the right of the gate, however, was largely missing. I am not sure how this had happened since the top part of the wall seems to have survived in tact. Anyway, with lots of stone left over, it seemed like a good idea to have a bit of a tidy up.
The wall to the left of the gate is not too bad, but the wall on the right was largely missing, until I started building it back up. The gate posts have the hooks (iron hooks held in place with lead) on the other side of the gate posts. The only way the gates would have opened would have been away from the camera. So the land the other side of these gates must have been built up – the gates would never have opened against the built up soil.
The wall to the right of the gate was non-existent next to the gate post. We have used all sorts of odd stone to build it up. Once it weathers in, you would think that it had been there for a hundred years.
The wall on the right handside needs to be built up quite a bit – there was no wall against the gatepost before we started. The area beneath the wall with the coping stones has been used as a bit of dumping ground. Lots of old bathroom tiles, concrete and general garbage. We have bagged most of this up to go to the dump together with the other rubbish that we continue to dig up.